Super Fast and Easy Vegetarian Recipe
This super easy vegetarian pasta recipe can be ready in the time it takes to boil up some pasta. Zucchini feta pasta is a great standby when you have plenty of zucchini or courgettes coming through from the garden and are looking for new ways to serve your lovingly grown produce.
Zucchini feta pasta is a dish that anyone can make, you don’t have to be a skilled cook, so it’s a great recipe to teach to teens before they head out to college, as it’s a cheap and healthy meal that looks like it takes a lot more effort to craft than it really does, and it smells wonderful as it’s cooking, which always make the chef look good.
I use fresh garlic, but you can substitute a spoonful of the ready crushed garlic from a jar or use garlic granules if you prefer. You could also sub the lemon out for a tablespoon of bottled lemon juice, but it would lose some zing. If you don’t have oregano you can switch to mixed herbs or a dash of Mrs Dash. I used linguine today, but whatever pasta is on special offer works just as well.
Vegans can just ditch the feta, or to keep some protein in the mix, add in some toasted pine nuts or cashews, which will give a bit of a crunch too.
- Prep time:
- Cook time:
- Ready in:
- Serves: 4
Zucchini Linguine Ingredients
- 1 pkg linguine
- 2 medium zucchini (courgettes)
- 1 pkg Greek feta (about a cup cubed)
- 1 unwaxed lemon
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- Salt and pepper
If you can get an unwaxed lemon then rinse and zest it. If you’re not sure, or you can only get a waxed lemon, then wash it thoroughly, you want to remove the wax coating before you eat it. If you don’t have a zester then you can just grate the outside of the lemon to get the zest, it just won’t look as pretty. Be careful not to get the pith if you’re grating the lemon, you just want the yellow stuff. Also be careful not to grate your knuckles, you want the dish to stay veggie.
- Juice the zested lemon, and put both the zest and juice to one side.
- Slice the zucchini longways and make little batons like in the picture. If your fruit are large you may want to leave the center bits with no skin to one side to use in soup or sauce another time.
- Peel the garlic and then crush it.
- Cube or crumble the feta.
- By now your pasta water should be boiling so put your pasta in the water, and set the timer for the length of time recommended on the pasta packet.
- Put the oil in a large frying pan or skillet on a medium heat.
- Add the garlic and stir it around for a minute or two so it softens, but don’t let it go brown
- Add the zucchini batons and toss around coating them in garlic oil and softening them up for five minutes.
- Add the oregano, and toss it around for a minute.
- Add the lemon zest and toss for a minute.
- Add fresh ground salt and black pepper to taste. I don’t bother with salt because I find the feta is salty enough, but some people like it. I do go pepper crazy though.
- By now your pasta should be about ready (if not keep the zucchini warm and toss it around now and then).
- Drain the pasta, throw it straight back in the hot pan, throw in the lemon juice, herbed zucchini and feta and toss it around.
- Serve immediately in warmed pasta bowls.
All Zucchini All The Time
It would probably be overkill to make this recipe with zucchini pasta, but this spiral cutter makes it easy to use up zucchini and to lower your carb intake whilst upping your fruit and veg portions.