Throughout the summer my garden churns out courgettes (zucchini) by the bucket load and I’m always looking to find new ways to use them up in ways that don’t get boring. I’ve tried all sorts of pasta dishes and I’ve baked them in muffins and cookies and used them instead of pasta in lasagne as well as the usual salad combinations. This pizza was born of the need to use up yet more courgettes after this sunny summer.
I use my bread machine to make pizza dough. It takes 45 minutes to go from flour to pizza dough, and means that I can whip up a pizza topped with anything I find in the fridge at short notice. The Panasonic I have is the second I’ve had of the same brand. The first paid for itself, it lasted three years of providing a daily loaf as well as weekend treats and pizza.
Here’s the recipe that got me the pizza in the picture, let me know how you get on and what your favourite toppings are.
- 1/2 tsp dried yeast
- 200g strong white bread flour
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 125ml water
- Olive oil for brushing
- 1 large or two small courgettes (zucchini)
- 6-8 anchovy fillets from a jar or tin (optional – veggies can leave them out)
- 3 medium free range eggs
- 50g (or just a slack handful) finely grated Parmesan or veggie equivalent
- Throw all the dough ingredients in the bread maker and set it to run on the “pizza” cycle – you can use pre made dough or mix it by hand if you like
- Preheat the oven to 450F/230C/Gas8, if you have a pizza stone put that in the oven, if not a baking tray will do
- Slice your courgettes about 4mm or 1/8″ thick
- Stretch the dough to a pizza stone size (or pizza size if you’re using a baking tray)
- Brush the dough with olive oil
- Place the courgettes over the top of the pizza, be as generous as you garden allows
- Add the anchovy fillets
- Breaking with pizza topping tradition you should transfer your pizza to the pizza stone or baking tray now
- Add the eggs, do try not to break the yolks or your pizza will end up looking like mine
- Sprinkle the Parmesan on top
- Bake in oven for 12 minutes, check the white of the egg is solidified, the yolk should be still a bit squishy.
- Remove and serve immediately