Summer Flavors From The Garden
This fast and easy pasta recipe was inspired by some of the dishes I ate when I spent three months pootling around Greece as a student. The produce was always so fresh, even if the bread was always stale.
The food was cheap, fresh and seasonal. It always tasted great. The wine was cheap, er … that’s it for the wine. I’ve since had some beautifulGreek wines, but on my travels, stopping at cheap tavernas the food was always better than the wine
With a garden of my own now I find I often have a glut of zucchini and tomatoes and need a variety of ways to serve them up. This pasta dish is on the table in the time it takes to boil pasta, so makes a great after work meal.
I harvest half the ingredients from my yard whilst the water is boiling, but you can buy yours from a store. If you have neighbors who grow their own veggies then in the summertime they’ll likely be glad to off load some zucchini and cherry tomatoes your way as once they start fruiting there’s no stopping them.
Read the directions first, as once you start cooking, it all happens quickly.
- Prep time:
- Cook time:
- Ready in:
- Yields: 2-3 servings
- 8 oz linguine or spaghetti
- 1 tbsp virgin olive oil
- 1 large or two small zucchini
- 6 -8 cherry tomatoes
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 lemon
- 1/2 cup crumbled or diced feta
- Put a large pan of water on to boil
- Zest the lemon
- Juice the lemon
- Halve or quarter the tomatoes
- Chop the zucchini into thick sticks ~ 1 1/2″ x 1/3″
- Chop or crumble the feta
- Heat a small skillet and add the olive oil
- By now your water should be boiling, add your pasta for the time indicated on the packet ~9 minutes
- Add the zucchini to the skillet and stir
- Add the zest and oregano to the zucchini tossing it around for 7 minutes, have a sherry if you like
- Add the tomatoes to the zucchini and toss for one minute
- Add the lemon juice and stir for one minute more
- By now your pasta should be ready, drain it and put it back into the pan, throw in your zucchini mix and the feta, stir quickly to coat the pasta and serve immediately.