These sneaky cookies look like your average run of the mill vanilla cookies, but they hide a sneaky chocolate treat. I made these with a regular bar of chocolate, using one chunk per cookie, but in the post-Christmas chocolate rush I think I’ll try them with left over Celebration chocolates or Quality Street ones. Someone had to eat the soft-centered ones.
- Prep time:
- Cook time:
- Ready in: 25
- Yield: 18 cookies
Secret Chocolate Cookie Ingredients
- 1/2 cup butter – at room temperature
- 3 tbsp peanut butter
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup white sugar
- 1 large free range egg
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 and 1/2 cups all purpose flour (whole meal works fine)
- 18 chocolate chunks
You can use pretty much any basic cookie dough recipe. I use this one because it’s easy to make, but I’ve tweaked it about a bit. For these chocolate chunk cookies I like the peanutty flavor of replacing some of the butter with peanut butter, but that would be bad if you were using strawberry creams – vanilla would complement that perfectly.
If you’re vegan then use your standard vegan cookie recipe and make sure you choose dark chocolate.
Surprise Chocolate Cookie Instructions
You’re going to make 18 cookies, but it’s hard to imagine 1/18th of anything, so divide your dough into three equal portions, each will make six cookies. Divide those thirds by three again, each will be two cookies worth. Half that to make a cookie. It’s not an exact science, but it’s better than guessing from the start.
- Preheat the oven to 190C/375F/Gas 5
- Beat the butter, peanut butter and sugars until light – I use a stick blender, but you can do it by hand
- Add the egg and mix in, if it starts to curdle add a tablespoon or two of the flour to stabilize it
- Add the salt, soda and flour and mix
- You’re looking to get the texture to be a malleable dough
- Divide your dough as above
- Squish each piece into a disc about three times the size of your chocolate chunk
- Put the chunk on the dough and then shape the dough into a little ball
- Put each ball on a cookie sheet, I bake 6 cookies per sheet, and press it down a little, but not too much, it will collapse into a chocolate filled cookie
- Bake for ten minutes
- Take out of the oven and leave for five minutes to firm up a bit
- Use a fish slice to carefully transfer each cookie onto a wire rack to cool