Vegetarian Eggs Casablanca
This quick vegetarian dish is a great meal to prepare after work. It has a good level of protein so is perfect for people who may need a bit more, or who have been skipping out on protein.
I’d love to tell you I picked up the recipe in Casablanca, Morocco, but it’s a bit less glamorous than that. I had something similar in a dive of a bar in Spain, somewhere in Castilla y Leon as I cycled across Spain on the Camino de Santiago. The bar was called “Bar Casablanca”.
Cycling for miles every day, carrying all our supplies on the bike was really tiring, and pretty much everything tastes great when you’re burning thousands of calories on a bike, but this really hit the spot.
The combination of the sweet caramelized vegetables, the warm spices and the fresh creamy egg is really wonderful. Serve with fresh crusty bread, or if you want to go with the North African theme use flatbreads or a pave style loaf. For the authentic Bar Casablanca experience, serve with two-day old bread and a big jug of pink wine.
- Prep time:
- Ready in:
- Yields: 2-3 Greedy People
- 1 14 oz/425g can chickpeas/garbanzo beans
- 1 medium onion
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes
- 3 large handfuls fresh spinach
- 3 large free range eggs (more if your friends are really hungry)
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tbsp olive oil
This pan is perfect for this kind of dish, it’s heavy cast iron construction spreads the heat well, and it’s deep enough to allow for enthusiastic stirring, whilst being wide enough to allow for evaporation.
It’s also really pretty and comes in eight different colors, so there will be one that works with your kitchen’s color scheme.
- Wash the spinach and put it in large heavy bottomed pan over a medium heat.
- Let it wilt, then take it off the heat, scoop out the spinach and as much spinach juice as you can easily scoop.
- Set the spinach aside and put the pan back on the heat
- Put half the oil in the pan
- Add the sliced garlic and onions
- Stir the onions and cook for about 5 minutes until the onions just start to caramelize
- Add the cumin and smoked paprika and stir it in to the onions
- Take a good long sniff, it should smell great as the spices hit the heat
- Add the cherry tomatoes and stir them in
- Cook for another 3 minutes or so until the tomatoes start to look demoralized
- Add the chickpeas/garbanzo beans and stir in
- Cover and simmer for 3-5 minutes until the chickpeas are warm, whilst you heat the rest of the oil in a skillet/frying pan
- Add the spinach back into the chickpea/garbanzo mix
- Fry the free range eggs and as each one is ready serve it up on a bed of “Casablanca”
- I like my eggs sunny side up, but if you’re cooking for pregnant people, small children, or people with compromised immune or digestive systems then be sure to cook until the yolk is set firm
- Serve with fresh crusty bread or warm homemade flatbreads